Re: Crystal's old chip...well maybe

From: Ray Ghanbari <ray_at_mayo.edu>
Date: Tue Jul 08 1997 - 14:10:59 EDT

You wrote:
> With the price of used 486 motherboards going for less than $50 at swap
> meets, that's $125 for a full sampling universal sound card (well less the
> very minimal RAM and floppy/harddisk/romdrive, needed to bring it up --
> yeah, were will I *ever* find an old floppy disk, or hard drive for that
> matter.). Those baby AT boards would not take up much room inside the game
> cabinet, being smaller than many of the sound cards in there now.

Having a real computer in the cabinet is not necessarily a bad thing. I can
think of several games that I just want to very occasionally play (ie, Jungle
King) and could care less about "perserving" original hardware, and running
them off an emulator takes up a lot less space than a PCB (one of the ways I
justified the purchase of my Playstation ;-)

(says Ray while he runs for cover from hoardes of screaming VAPS members ;-)

Ray