Re: CineSound Samples

From: Joseph J. Welser <jwelser_at_crystal.cirrus.com>
Date: Tue Jul 22 1997 - 14:53:54 EDT

> Using that information to program a DSP is probably a great way to make a
> universal sound board. However that won't help me much (unless I did the
> next step :-) If no one has samples, I'll hook up a sound board and see
> what I can get (but I don't have one for Star Castle).

        Yeah, that's my plan for the sound board (Using a Crystal DSP and DAC, of course :) )

        Getting samples out of a Cinematronics sound board should be pretty easy -- All of the sounds in Star Castle have digital enables. Basically, the motherboard just sends a signal that says "Enable the loud explosion" and you get your loud explosion.

        There are 8 different frequencies of the background noise. There is a circuit in that section that makes the transition from one to another a smooth one. In a discussion about this a few weeks ago, we concluded that this could easily be done with software, using pitch bend. Just sample all 8 frequencies of background noise....

        If you don't have a Star Castle sound board, I'm sure there's someone out there that does (I don't at the moment.) It's really not all taht rare, and the sound boards are usually working, even if the motherboards aren't...

Joseph J. Welser jwelser@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Design Engineer jwelser@crystal.cirrus.com
Crystal Semiconductor Corporation http://www.crystal.com
P.O. Box 17847