Re: G-05 monitors

From: Zonn <zonn_at_concentric.net>
Date: Wed Aug 06 1997 - 17:54:00 EDT

At 02:25 PM 8/6/97 -0700, you wrote:

>I just got some mail from Frazee saying that he has a bunch of G-05's that
>aren't too burned in. Do you remember looking at any of these when you were
>up there Joe? I've started working on a little cine -> G05 adapter board
>using modern (.ie still in production) parts, duplicating the DAC/switch/Filter
>of the Cine monitor and thought it might be worth picking up a couple if
>they were cheap enough, and weren't toast.
>
>On a somewhat related note, it looks like the LF13201 switches used in the AVG
>are out of production now, along with the LF13331's used in the Cine, so folks
>might want to start watching for old stock in surplus places..

Those things (the LF13331's) are on the top of my "Most likely to die" list.

The last time I looked Digikey claimed to have 600+ instock, I bought 10 so
make that 590+. The're $5.35 a piece but if you have as many of these
monitors as I do it's not so bad of an insurance policy.

>If someone has found plug-in replacement, it would be nice to know about it.

Cinematronics did have a replacement for this part since even at the time of
manufactoring they were hard to come by. It required a daughter board, but
according to a tech "he thinks" it was to drop some voltages, and change
pinouts. None of this does anyone any good just yet, because I can't
remember the name of the part. (I can get the name.)

Either way I saw that there is a description of the circuit on that
StarTech(or something) CD they want $300 or $400 dollars for...

All said and done if you're re-designing the board this should be an easy
part to replace, (I wouldn't use either of the above) it just needs to
switch positive and negative voltages. The current handling is not great,
and can easily be calculated (I would if I had a schematic here in front of me).

-Zonn