Re: which encoder wheel?

From: Clay Cowgill <clay_at_supra.com>
Date: Wed Aug 06 1997 - 20:27:51 EDT

>I wonder what encoder Mad Planets uses. I should go check...the knob is
>identical to Tempest but I don't know about the internals.

*Doh!* Another one! ;-) Does the Mad Planets gizmo have a "decoder" PCB
that the spinner talks to? (Or do the quadrature outputs go straight to
the PCB?)

>Another option that might be useful is a bit on the interface to flip the
>direction of the quadrature. I found that more recent encoder wheels,
>while outwardly identical and mechanically similar to Tempest, actually
>reverse the two wires coming from the encoder, causing your player to spin
>backwards.

Yeah, I can use a couple jumpers on the board and physically "reverse" the
connections. (Or, can you just invert the signals? Or maybe you invert
one line? I'll have to think about that.)

The other option is to go to a 28pin PIC with another 8 bits of I/O and do
everything in firmware.

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com