which encoder wheel?

From: Al Kossow <aek>
Date: Tue Aug 05 1997 - 14:51:46 EDT

One thing I've forgotten to ask in all of this is WHICH
encoder wheel would be used for the input device? I would
guess the Tempest wheel is the most common and, like
the Sega wheel, it has a nice heavy flywheel attached.

I have seen (and picked up) some HP encoder assemblies
that are the size of a panel pot and have quadrature
outputs. These don't have flywheels, but would be handy
for a bench setup, or for putting into a little box for
bench use.