Re: which encoder wheel?

From: The Grigsbeast <grigsby_at_netgate.net>
Date: Tue Aug 05 1997 - 23:52:00 EDT

>One thing I've forgotten to ask in all of this is WHICH
>encoder wheel would be used for the input device? I would
>guess the Tempest wheel is the most common and, like
>the Sega wheel, it has a nice heavy flywheel attached.

I agree. It doesn't sound like getting pulses per revolution exact is
necessary since you can't get a known resting position with an encoder and
it all ends up being relative anyway...

I wonder what encoder Mad Planets uses. I should go check...the knob is
identical to Tempest but I don't know about the internals.

Another option that might be useful is a bit on the interface to flip the
direction of the quadrature. I found that more recent encoder wheels,
while outwardly identical and mechanically similar to Tempest, actually
reverse the two wires coming from the encoder, causing your player to spin
backwards.

Just a thought.

// grigs