Re: G-05 monitors

From: Zonn <zonn_at_concentric.net>
Date: Thu Aug 07 1997 - 17:28:00 EDT

At 05:05 PM 8/7/97 -0500, you wrote:
>> >I remember that one of the lines was inverted in hardware... I think it
>> >was 4:4:4 RGB, but they might have given an extra bit to green and stolen
>> >one from blue to make up some of the human visual-range stuff. I don't
>> >think so though.
>>
>> It's 4-B 4-G 4-R, and all the lines are inverted, all zero's being bright
>> white, and all ones being black.
>
>I got a clue and looked at your updated page. It looks more like there
>are 3 bits for intensity and one to completely disable the color. It that
>a valid interpretation??

Not quite, I only stuck those extra "dim" colors to help indicate which bit
is bit-0, I'll have to go back and clear that up.

There's a full 16 levels of colors for each gun, black being all one's.

The inverted line Clay was referring to was the high bit of the DAC register
which is inverted on the C-CPU, so must be un-inverted before using it as a
color (whereupon all the bits are inverted).

>As for my aliens being white <Grr> At least my Space War ships are more
>than 3 pixels! :-) :-)

Good point!!! Uh, er, just think of it as your viewport running at half
power. Yeah that's it! "Captain, damage to the main viewing screen!"

Running in Window's has it's advantages, you don't have to support a zillion
different graphic cards! Windoze does it for you. But hey, except for the
re-programming of the palette colors in the Color, and Multi level modes,
the emulator would run on a 640x350 EGA! (Like that's an advantage!)

I figure to support a zillion cards, since I'm not particularly interested
in porting to windoze (though War of the Worlds would make a better screen
saver than it does a game), nor writing hardware support for a hundred
different chipsets, I'll buy an off the shelf library to finish up that part.

BTW: Currently I'm only supporting 16 colors (also for maximum
compatibility) so your emulator should also have nicer shades of colors --
for the time being. ;^)

-Zonn