Re: cine -> wg adapter

From: Paul Kahler <phkahler_at_Oakland.edu>
Date: Thu Aug 07 1997 - 18:24:23 EDT

> At 10:27 AM 8/7/97 -0700, you wrote:
> >Paul said:
> >
> >If you're going to put a processor in there, why not run an emulator on
> >it and replace ALL the cinematronics hardware :-)
> >

> >I didn't want to put one in that would be fast enough to be able to do
> >that.
>
> The thing with using an emulator is you don't have to keep up with each
> vector being drawn. The emulator can feed you vector information in any
> format you'd like (including the the *real* vector end points), and as long
> as you can refresh the screen before the next screen (which you have to do
> in any design), everything can be made to work.

Actually we should be able to make a simple hardware hack (maybe a prom
change) to make the board output the correct endpoints. You could do what
you like with them at that point. But I thought the idea was to just make
the D/A part and output Atari compatible signals. Where'd this idea to
throw a processor in there come from anyway???

BTW, a standard floppy drive cable plugs nicely into the CineMonitor
connector and has a nice female edge connector on the other end to hook
onto the adapter board... So make the adapter plug into the Atari Space
Duel harness on one side and take that cable on the other & I'd buy one!!
Then I'd finally be able to play the real thing.

Space Duel has the advantage of having most of the controls for most of the
Cinegames and the added bonus that I've got one ;-) I'm still willing to
take a stab at writing menu software for the CineGames if I ever have a
working setup...

-Paul