Re: Bizarre Tailgunner (2) Experience

From: Clay Cowgill <clay_at_supra.com>
Date: Thu Aug 21 1997 - 19:34:29 EDT

>Finally, if Zonn wanted to tweak the wait-state generator
>he may as well make it work from a single ROM since 100ns and less are
>readily available today. I for one have better things to do than write
>a game to run on modified 20-year-old hardware :-)

Oh, *waaahhh*. (That's my crying sound effect. ;-)

You saying those of us writing games on modified 20-year-old hardware have
nothing better to do? (Just kidding. Sorta. :-)

FWIW, we've been buying 128Kx8 Flash and EPROM at 45ns for a few years now
for use in modems and the prices have really gone down recently. Fast ROM
access wouldn't be a big deal. A pretty fun little project for someone
with some spare time would be to try to do a little 'C' compiler for the
Cinematronics hardware. That'd be a neat project. ;-)

>I suppose it's interesting to note that if Cinematronics had a clue they
>could have extended the life of that basic design by a couple years. With
>added memory and ROM, a little CPU speed boost, and an Atari color monitor
>they probably could have done the likes of Star Wars on it.

True. Does anyone know what the capabilities of the Cinematronics hardware
used in Cosmic Chasm were like?

>Kurt & I talked years ago about running Net-RipOff and other CineGames
>on the emulator. It'd be fairly simple and might work via modem if there
>wasn't too much lag. Some fairly tricky code might even be able to keep
>2 emulators in sync WITH lag now that I think about it...Or maybe not.
>The basic idea should work with any emulator.

I did a lot of work here on "modem enabled gaming" about a year ago. It's
quite do-able with little to no lag at speeds even around 9600bps. The
limitations of the game hardware from the 80's kinda helps insure you're
never pushing much data around...

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com