G08 power transistors

From: Al Kossow <aek>
Date: Mon Aug 25 1997 - 13:02:38 EDT

I had the chance to pull apart a couple of G08's at an operator's
shop over the weekend, and the first thing I noticed was every monitor
had a different brand of transistor (mostly house-marked) in the
HV assy. From the numbers I was able to cross (like 2SC1308) it looks
like they used BU208-like parts. I popped over to Newark's web page
and here are some prices:

Mot BU208A $3.52

Now, for trying to find 2N6259 replacements:

2N3716 80v 10A 150W 2.59 (sorry, Mr Zanen, not even close..)

2N5631 140v 16A 200W 5.70 (Motorola's cross to the 2N6259)
MJ15003 140v 20A 250W 3.56 (This was in the original schematics)
2N6341 150v 25A 200W 17.12
BUV22 250v 40A 250W 10.08

I had a talk with the analog guy in the next cube over this morning, and
the difference between the -003 preliminary (?) schematic in the monitor
service manual and the more common -003 drawings in the game manuals is
that they added short circuit protection, which is what is on the little
paddle-boards that connect between the deflection PC board and the power
transistors..

Has anyone ever noticed if one 2N6259 blows more often than the other?
One thing that my cube-mate mentioned was he thought there might be
a stability problem in the design with the 2N6259 connected to the
negative rail.