Re: G08's and inductive kick

From: Al Kossow <aek>
Date: Mon Sep 01 1997 - 13:03:33 EDT

Would it be possible to design a new deflection circuit using 2
N-channel MOSFETS as the drivers?"

---
I suspect the designs you're mentioning are actually PWM (class D)
designs. These designs weren't practical before the invention of fast
high current MOSFET drivers, so the deflection amps of the early 80's
used class AB output drivers. Most of the power in the output stage
is dissipated as heat in the deflection amp output transistors (and
the fairly high resistance of the current to voltage conversion
resistor in the return path of the yoke. Modern designs use a higher
gain error amplifier and a must lower value sense resistor.
Considering the voltages and currents involved (especially the G08)
at high input voltages the deflection transistors must dump over 100
watts of power into the heat sinks.
Zonn and I were exchanging email last week and we suspect what actually
is taking out the output transistors is base-emitter breakdown from
the inductive kickback of the yoke when the direction of current flow
is reversed, which was why I wanted to try to set up a deflection amp
on the bench to see what happens to the yoke voltages at fast switching
rates.