Re: G08's and inductive kick

From: John Lee <johnlee_at_amaranth.com>
Date: Mon Sep 01 1997 - 12:19:57 EDT

Al Kossow wrote:

> Talking to the guy in the next cube, the NPN-NPN design of the G08
> will have a problem with inductive kick in one direction that the
> PNP/NPN designs won't have.
>
> He also thought that the relatively low voltage ratings of the
> 3716/19 might make this a problem for the WG as well.
>
> The other thing he was wondering if you only drove the output
> transistors from the unregulated supply or the diff amp and
> pre driver as well. If the negative rail isn't well regulated
> in the diff amp, you are going to inject a whole bunch of noise
> through the current source.

Would it be possible to design a new deflection circuit using 2
N-channel MOSFETS as the drivers? I work on amplifers for home and
autos, and I have seen some interesting designs on amps. Bose has an
amp that is a switching type. Its very small in size, but, it runs cool
and creates a lot of signal. Infinity uses a digital switching amp with
mosfet outputs as well. These types of amps have a very low floor noise
and a nice dynamic range. Not that dynamic range is a very important
feature for a deflection circuit. The ability to handle large amounts
of voltage and current with low distortion should be a plus though.
Just my half-a-cents worth.