Re: message repost

From: Clay Cowgill <clay_at_supra.com>
Date: Thu Sep 04 1997 - 20:10:33 EDT

>With a very slight modification to this design you can use the original WG
>PNP pass transistor to boost the current on the positive rail, and the NPN
>transistor for the negative rail (the opposite of the way WG currently uses
>them). Assuming only a current gain of 10, for the power transistors, this
>allows the regulators to only dissapate 500ma for 5 amps of current.
>
>I don't have the schematic here, (it's hand drawn) but I can scan it in this
>weekend and send to to Al to post.

Mmmmm. Good point, I'd like to see your modifications there.

One other approach would be to get the regulators in a TO-3 package and
mount them on the chassis instead of the NPN/PNP pair for the old LV
supply. I think the TO-3 versions are rated for something like 7A
continuous?

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com