LV supply design

From: Al Kossow <aek>
Date: Thu Sep 04 1997 - 20:02:54 EDT

Here are a couple of things I was thinking of / wondering about on the LV
supply:

1) why is only one of the pass transistor drivers on the WG a power transistor?
   does the HV supply draw a lot more positive than negative current?

2) the LM3xx daughter board got me thinking it would be fairly easy to build
   two little PC boards that you could mount on a heat sink to add a MOV or
   commutation diodes and current limiting to the deflection drivers

3) foldback current limiting on the LV pass transistors would be nice
   that way, if a driver shorts (which shouldn't happen with #2 above..)
   you aren't toasting the LV pass transistors.

I'm wondering in a 723 (or modern equivalent) with built in current
limiting would make more sense than the three terminal parts.