Re: Protecting XY monitors...

From: Alan J McCormick <gonzothegreat_at_juno.com>
Date: Fri Sep 05 1997 - 15:35:35 EDT

On Thu, 04 Sep 1997 23:42:01 -0700 John Robertson <pinball@istar.ca>
writes:

>It seems to me that the real problem with these poor monitors is if
>the power supply of the game board goes bad that the
>monitor gets lonesome and dies. Now in the interest of keeping them
>from croaking how about a simple little relay circuit that
>cuts the power to the monitor if the +5 supply goes outside a set of
>parameters AND/OR if the logic board locks up? I was
>thinking along the lines of a watchdog reset monitor circuit, or just
>a simple circuit that monitors the X and Y outputs and
>if the signal doesn't change enough over a certain period of time that
>the power is cut to the monitor. This could be self
>restarting so if the problem is an intermittent one can "play" the
>game around the problem...Well, any other bright ideas???

How about this...
(no actual circuit descriptions, just ideas...)

Since most of us have seen a color XY (or two) with the phosphor @ 0,0
burned away, how about something to prevent this? I've only seen
descriptions of what the display looks like with this fault. I believe it
has to do with the Z being stuck on for one of the RGB channels allowing
the e- beam to blast 0,0 with the full intensity beam.

Maybe if one color is locked on full, disable said color and light a
diagnostic LED? Finally a chance to use a blue LED in a design!!! YAHOO!
:)

Virtu-Al