Re: Star Castle problems ...

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri Oct 03 1997 - 12:41:43 EDT

On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Mit Matelske wrote:

> Thanks to all!!!
>
> After adjusting *every* pot on that monitor, I have a decent looking
> Star Castle game. One question - the background noise is just
> static - and I'm not talking about good static. The explosions
> sound great, but this constant noise...

> It's been a while since I played the game and was wondering what
> the background sounds (music? - just kidding) are suupose to
> be, and how to diagnose and fix the sound board.

        The background sound should be a pulsing tone that gets faster
pulsing as you shoot more and more segments out of the Star Castle.

        The Manual has an awesome section on how to diagnose the Sound
board. If you don't have a copy, check on wiretap, but I'm not sure its
there. Send me an email if you need a copy.

        Folow the procedure in the manual, but the background noise is
generated by a cheesy DAC, a level shifter and limiter, and a VCO. First
thing I would check is the VCO (an LM566 -- National has the datasheet on
their web page) if you are getting static. You should get a nice
low-frequency square wave out of there (use a scope to check.)

Joe