Re: Sega Multigame

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_cig.mot.com>
Date: Mon Oct 06 1997 - 18:55:43 EDT

Clay,

I'm not trying to rain on your parade here, but maybe you should hold off your
release until you can make it a TRUE multi-game. I mean, what do you really
buy from doing the menu system if you still have to do manual switching of the
sound boards?

The IDEAL multigame would

1) fit in a standard SegaXY cage
2) combind the CPU/EPROM and SPEECH board into one board, leaving room for 2 XY
boards and 3 sound boards (Maybe the daughterboard you already have could be
expanded to included the speech circuitry?)
3) Have some sort of "banking" of the sound boards (relays, whatever). Maybe
you could make a run of backplane boards that support some sort of switching?
4) a universal controller board for the control panel.

This, along with your menu system, would allow a single cage system, with no
need to do any board swapping whatsoever, and a person could use a universal
control panel that supports all games. Completely user-friendly and idiot
proof.

I guess what I'm saying is from a customer perspective, what you're providing
isn't enough to convince me to change my current game swapping technique.

I'd personally wait longer to have a complete multigame system than to have a
partial one now.

Just my $.02. You don't want to re-live doing two runs like you did with the
ESB kit, do you? ;-)

Mark Jenison E-mail: jenison@cig.mot.com

"...I've learned that life is one crushing defeat
after another until you just wish Flanders was dead."

                               -- Homer Simpson