Re: Sega Multigame

From: Zonn <zonn_at_concentric.net>
Date: Mon Oct 06 1997 - 19:43:01 EDT

On Mon, 6 Oct 1997 17:55:43 -0500 (CDT), you wrote:

>Clay,
>
>I'm not trying to rain on your parade here, but maybe you should hold off your
>release until you can make it a TRUE multi-game. I mean, what do you really
>buy from doing the menu system if you still have to do manual switching of the
>sound boards?
>
>The IDEAL multigame would
>
>1) fit in a standard SegaXY cage
>2) combind the CPU/EPROM and SPEECH board into one board, leaving room for 2 XY
>boards and 3 sound boards (Maybe the daughterboard you already have could be
>expanded to included the speech circuitry?)
>3) Have some sort of "banking" of the sound boards (relays, whatever). Maybe
>you could make a run of backplane boards that support some sort of switching?
>4) a universal controller board for the control panel.

>This, along with your menu system, would allow a single cage system, with no
>need to do any board swapping whatsoever, and a person could use a universal
>control panel that supports all games. Completely user-friendly and idiot
>proof.
>
>I guess what I'm saying is from a customer perspective, what you're providing
>isn't enough to convince me to change my current game swapping technique.
>
>I'd personally wait longer to have a complete multigame system than to have a
>partial one now.
>
>Just my $.02. You don't want to re-live doing two runs like you did with the
>ESB kit, do you? ;-)

Nah, the *ideal* game would fit in my watch and yet project a 25" image in
front of me while I played on a virtual front panel that also floating in
front of me, and would allow for four players in Eliminator...

But that might have to wait for the 3rd run of PC boards. ;^) (Sorry I'm
under too much pressure here at work...)

But it does sound like Clay's current design allows for the banking of
sound boards if someone wanted to come up with the relay banks (or
whatever) to do the switching.

The idea of a run of back plane boards that would hold all the standard and
sound cards does have it's appeal though!

-Zonn