Re: Sega Multigame

From: Clay Cowgill <clay_at_supra.com>
Date: Mon Oct 06 1997 - 22:09:19 EDT

>This sounds suspiciously like the debate raging here at work. One on
>side:
[...]
>Of course, both views are right.

Ahhh, yes we know that one well. Engineering likes to build high-end
stuff, but the low-cost stuff outsells it 1000:1. Much to Engineering's
chagrin out "low-cost" stuff just got more magazine awards than any of our
"top-of-the-line" models did. *Humph*.

>Clay's proposal is near ideal for a multi-game *cpu* board (only thing
>I would add is support for a 27080, with a jumper to strap it for a
>27040...may as well make absolutely certain that you will never need
>more EPROM space)

Hmmm. Good idea. I'll look at that. One of the 5 "ID" lines could be
used to control that other address line on the 27080. Need to think
through that.

>Only semi-generic feature that could be tossed on there is the vector
>signal conversion circuitry for WG monitors, which could almost be
>considered a "cpu" function (may be part of the spec and I missed it)

Nah, I'm just being quiet about it since I'm busy over-engineering it. ;-)
Turns out we used to use Xicor X9313 digital potentiometers in our voice
modems. The're non-volatile digital pots (save settings when power is
off). Can you say "onscreen monitor adjustments"? Good, I thought you
could! :-)

>Anyway, Clay sign me up for one and toss it into my ever growing
>box collection in your garage ;-)

(Hey Ray, send me your address again. I have Box #1 packed up and ready to go!)

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com
\/ Communications Division http://www.supra.com/