Sega control mapping...

From: Clay Cowgill <clay_at_supra.com>
Date: Tue Oct 07 1997 - 20:08:02 EDT

Have any of you tried Tac/Scan or Zektor in a Star Trek cabinet? It looks
like the controls will work as-is except thrust/fire are backwards.

I made a spreadsheet that shows connector pins and IO ports along a single
axis and suddenly the wiring is a lot more understandable. :-)

Anyway, I'm going to spend a little time with a disassembler and see if I
can't "fix" some of this in software. With the exception of the 4 player
Eliminator there really isn't any need for having the player inputs all
over the place-- Sega was just being difficult. I might be able to hack
the binaries and remap the controls at the code level instead of needing
extra hardware.

I'll let everyone know how it goes...

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager