Tempest Monitor Fixed -- Almost

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris_at_westnet.com>
Date: Thu Oct 09 1997 - 12:50:43 EDT

The infamous replacement for D902 finally showed up. Soldered in, and now my
WG monitor works, and I'm playing tempest on a bigger than 2 inch scope
screen.

The monitor appears to need convergance adjustment however. Red/blue don't
even come close to lining up at the bottom, though they do at the top. Green
seems to be completely off -- the green text seems to flicker like it's
interlaced. I've seen this all documented though.

However, the whole screen also seems to be at a tlit. This is most evident
with the test screen up that is just a box. The box is at an angle -- the
horizontal lines obviously aren't. Is there an electronic adjustment for
this, or is this fixed by adjusting the yoke.

And my second question: All the notes on convergence involve sliding the
yoke around while the monitor is turned on. On the one hand, I understand
you have to adjust this stuff while it's turned on. On the other hand, I
have a bit of trepidation about grabbing the back of a powered-up picture
tube.

So, what precautions should be used when making these yoke and
purity adjustments ? Wear gloves seems obvious. Should the chasis be
grounded, or is this only when trying to discharge the tube ?

-Chris

http://www.westnet.com/