Re: Sega Multigame - input needed!

From: Ray Ghanbari <ray_at_mayo.edu>
Date: Mon Oct 13 1997 - 17:37:12 EDT

You wrote:
> Hi everybody--
>
> Brief status update on the Sega Multigame. There's a couple questions
> mixed in the text that I'd like input on...
>
> Hardware:
> ---------
> Hardware is near final. The daughtercard uses either a 27C040 or 27C080
> (good idea, Ray). A 27C040 will be included. There are TWO 8-bit latches
> on the board. Latch "1" uses four lines for bank (game) select, the other
> four lines are for Audio selection.
>
> Question #1: Should I use one line per soundboard for selection, or encode
> it?

More generic solution is to encode it. That is, make it a game ID, and let
the sound "solution" figure out what to do with it. Realistically, there will
likely be an all in one sound card solution at some point.

Until then, are you going to hard code the sound card type for the unfilled
spots on the 27040/80? That is, which will be the default card for games to be
hacked or new games? Is one sound card more interesting than the others?

Looking at it this way, may make more sense to have the menu system pick the
sound card type, rather than having it infered from the game type by the sound
board(s). How about 00, 01, 10, 11 for sound board type select? That leave 2
bits for future stuff (control panel type??)

> Question #2: Does this sound OK to everyone? I'll put the original Space
> Fury and Eliminator images in a couple empty slots on the EPROM in case
> people want a to use those and make a "universal" control panel by adding
> buttons to a Star Trek panel or whatever.

I think all the original games should be available from the menu (including 4p
Eliminator). For the hacked games, why not standardize on 2 control panels?

Star Trek
2P Eliminator

ST CP layout seems fairly awkward for Space Fury and Eliminator. Still, may
be better than nothing for most folks. ST is the most common sega game out
there.

Good stuff Clay!

Ray