Re: Sega Multigame - input needed!

From: Zonn <zonn_at_concentric.net>
Date: Mon Oct 13 1997 - 19:03:13 EDT

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997 14:52:28 -0800, Clay Cowgill <clay@supra.com> wrote:

>>I wouldn't mind having the sound card selected directly as in option #1,
>>but I would like a different selection for the Zektor sound board since
>>if it's populated properly is not the same sound card as Eliminator. If
>>this causes you to run out of bits, then maybe a third option:
>[...]
>
>No biggie there. We can do:
>
>0001 = USB
>0010 = Eliminator
>0100 = Space Fury
>1000 = Zektor
>
>Unless anyone doesn't like this and has a good reason to change it...
>
>>I would also like a unique code for each game (I thought I read you were
>>doing that but now I can't find it), I don't have a StarTrek control
>>panel, so I'd like to use this output for to select a control panel that
>>will probably be remapped using a PIC.
>
>Exactly. Actually, why don't I just bring out the Bank select lines to a
>header? I'll just standardize that the position of the games in banks
>won't ever change. Instant "ID" code. :-)
>
>>Also (since I don't have a Star Trek control panel) actual ROM images
>>would be preferred, possibly with David's patches to run SC free, though
>>I'm such a nerd I might even program up a selectable GAL to emulate the
>>different SC's and use this same output to run them (or would that
>>scramble your background code?)
>
>Ehhhhh... Asking for trouble there

And not like I don't have better things to do! Sounds like patched code
is the way to go, (well I still will probably want unpatched control
panel stuff -- but it would be nice if you carefully document all the
code your changes to allow for individuals to design there own control
panel layouts -- or use different starting control panels)

-Zonn