Security chip work-arounds...

From: Clay Cowgill <clay_at_supra.com>
Date: Tue Oct 14 1997 - 16:24:20 EDT

Hi all,

Just want to do a sanity check on myself here before I report in to Dave Fish...

Have any of you been running the "hacked" versions of the Sega XY games
(Star Trek, Tac Scan, Zektor, Space Fury, Eliminator) from Dave?

I think there's a problem with Star Trek, but it could be that I just
missed joining a patched ROM or something...

On my patched version of Star Trek from Dave, firing the Phaser results in
no visible shots on screen in the viewscreen window. Odd. This happens in
simulation and on real hardware. Is this just me?

Also, according to someone else Zektor will occasionally give 99 lives when
you die. He says that running original ROMs (with an emulated security
chip) instead of the patched ROMs doesn't exhibit the problem.

Any comments?

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com