Re: Security chip work-arounds...

From: fishd <fishd_at_tiac.net>
Date: Tue Oct 14 1997 - 17:43:15 EDT

At 12:24 PM 10/14/97 -0800, Clay wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Just want to do a sanity check on myself here before I report in to Dave
Fish...

>Have any of you been running the "hacked" versions of the Sega XY games
>(Star Trek, Tac Scan, Zektor, Space Fury, Eliminator) from Dave?

Ummm... I did ;-)

>I think there's a problem with Star Trek, but it could be that I just
>missed joining a patched ROM or something...
>
>On my patched version of Star Trek from Dave, firing the Phaser results in
>no visible shots on screen in the viewscreen window. Odd. This happens in
>simulation and on real hardware. Is this just me?

It's always possible that there's a patch that I got wrong. I don't
recall how mine works so I'll set up my bench again since the Cine'
project is complete.

>Also, according to someone else Zektor will occasionally give 99 lives when
>you die. He says that running original ROMs (with an emulated security
>chip) instead of the patched ROMs doesn't exhibit the problem.

I had heard this also but I definitely don't recall seeing it on my
Zektor setup. Again anythings possible tho'. I'll look into this one
also when I get some free time. I had given up on the Sega stuff for
a while after BOTH my Z80 emulators crapped out and the intensity
of the G08 started flaking out. It seemed that everything started to
fail just as I got the 4 player Eliminator patches figured out.
Damn Sega hardware, it's cursed.

David Fish | "We want...Information. INFORMATION
Melrose, MA USA | You won't get it!
   fishd@tiac.com | By hook or by crook we will"
   dfish@bev.etn.com | _The Prisoner_