Re: Universal Cinematronics Control Panel Translator

From: Zonn <zonn_at_concentric.net>
Date: Thu Oct 16 1997 - 21:21:22 EDT

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997 10:10:19 -0700, "Mark Shostak"
<shostak@fastlane.net> wrote:

>In message "Cine CPU exorsisor data up", "Ozdemir, Steve <sso@dsc.com>" writes:
>
>> we might be able to reuse the $20 part for something like a universal
>> Cinematronics control panel translator! How about a combination
>> Cinematronics Exercisor/control panel translator!!
>
>Hi Steve (and all),
>
>If you're interested in a universal Cinematronics control panel translator,
>I can help you out. For my menu based multigame project, I've patched a
>bunch of Cinematronics games to use a standard control panel layout as
>well as a standard DIP switch layout.
>
>It works well as one size control panel fits all. Also, it's nice to be able
>to set the number of ships per game for one game and have the same
>number of ships in every other game.
>
>If you (or anyone else) would like a copy, or um, backup of my patched
>ROMs, send me some email and I can hook you up.

Somebody read that .DOC file I spent so many nights on? Way cool! This
is just the kind of thing I had in mind when I wrote it.

Way to go Mark!

More than a copy of your ROMs, what I think would be nice is the memory
locations you changed, allowing me and any one else to set up there own
control panel! (I hope you document well.)

I like the idea of remapping the switches, that gets rid of one
multi-game pain.

Are you writing the menu using the Cinematronics CPU? Or do you have
some sort of additional hardware (CPU) for the menu selection? How do
you plan on switching between games, resetting into the new game?

There are some things to be careful of when writing vector
games...er...menus, just some things Scott Boden (Solar Quest guy) was
telling Bill about. Mostly things like keeping things center on the
screen, etc.

-Zonn

 ------ ___ Member of A.A.C.S.:
 |---- | ( ) Association for Artistically