Re: Sega Multigame (progress...)

From: Paul Kahler <phkahler_at_Oakland.edu>
Date: Tue Oct 21 1997 - 18:16:30 EDT

> You wrote:
> > Just a though... Anyone know if all the stuff would fit?
>
> This stuff gets out of control very quickly. How about this?
>
> Find a trashed cp for (insert your cabinet here)
>
> Cut out two 10x9" rectangles
>
> Have a pile of 10x9" metal inserts fabricated
>
> Put different control configs on each.
>
> "Standardize" the pinout for each control panel module type
>
> Swap in when you need them

You've obviously been over to Ricks place :-) That's exactly what he
did for his 4-player JAMA cabinet. I dunno if he's got spinner inserts,
but he does have trackballs for it. He told me it kinda sucks because
he's always got to put it "back" to regular controls after playing
something different.

For those who haven't seen it, he took a (Vindicators?) cabinet and put
a 25inch monitor in it - there was room around the border. He cut the top
off where the controls were and put on a long (extended off the side) box
on it for 4 sets of controls. the top of the "box" flips up via hinges so
you can connect the "standard" control panel connectors and pull out the
mini-panel inserts. He also cut out the front of the cabinet and replaced
it with double doors that cover almost the entire front. There are many
shelves inside which hold about 20 boards - all with the same pinout or
an adapter to JAMA. A long "cable" can be moved around and plugged onto
any of the boards. BTW, SPLAT works by pairing the P1P2 & P3P4 joysticks
for the 2 players.

If you're going to swap controls, then you may as well swap boards too
and forget the menu software. But I thought the goal here was to make
an idiot-proof system :-) Of course an idiot would ask what ALL the
extra controls do for every game ;-)

--
|_|  |_||_| \___/ |____)      for things another man can just ignore. " -S.H.