Re: More Amplifone stuff...

From: Zonn <zonn_at_concentric.net>
Date: Wed Nov 05 1997 - 19:35:07 EST

On Wed, 5 Nov 1997 16:24:38 -0800, Clay Cowgill <clay@supra.com> wrote:

>>Unfortunately the yoke assembly for the 25" has a different number than
>>the yoke assembly for a 19". This doesn't mean they're not the same
>>thing, just numbered differently. The fact Jeff's two yokes have the
>>same number is a good sign. It could be they original gave them
>>separate part numbers, and then because they were really the same part,
>>used them interchangeably.
>
>For what it's worth, I seem to recall in old Wico catalogs that the
>replacement Wico part numbers are also the same for the two.

Very cool.

>Have any of you really looked at the wire used in the yokes to determine
>what it is? I'd be game to try to hand wrap one of these things if I
>thought I could get the right wire... ;-)

It's not the wire, it's the shape. On the outside it looks like a
standard coil, but when you take the yoke off you see that on the inside
it has been machine formed into just the right shape to fit around the
tube. I think it would be similar to winding the coils used in the
pancake motors used to spin floppy disk drives -- just a bit harder
because of the strange angles of the yoke.

-Zonn

 ------ ___ Member of A.A.C.S.:
 |---- | ( ) Association for Artistically
    / / ( () ) Challenged Signatures