ESB / NOVRAM

From: Joel Rosenzweig <joel-r_at_an.hp.com>
Date: Tue Nov 11 1997 - 12:56:17 EST

I've got Clay's ESB Hack Rev 1.0 in my Star Wars, i.e. this is the type
without the dual novram setup that I drool over.

I've noticed that if I have a high score setting (top 3) in Star Wars,
these are retained from game to game, whereas if I switch to ESB, get a
top 3 score there, then switch back to SW, it's a gamble whether or not
my settings have been destroyed in Star Wars.

That is to say that sometimes when I switch between games, I lose my
Star Wars high score table, and sometimes, I do not. ESB settings have
never been retained.

Why is this so?

Does anyone else have this problem? I'm going to install a second
NOVRAM eventually, but I'd like to know why ESB doesn't always write to
it sucessfully. I figure that if it can't write to it now, then it's
not going to be able to write to it when it has it's very own.

Thanks,
Joel-