Re: Major Havoc

From: Jess Askey <jess_at_magenta.com>
Date: Tue Nov 11 1997 - 18:16:57 EST

Clay Cowgill wrote:

> >> Yep. Two layer, pretty simple. Main problem there is that it's physically
> >> a pretty large PCB. Just be kinda expensive to make.
> >
> >Actually there are two varieties of quad pokeys floating around.
> >
> >There is the board with 4 pokeys (40-pin socketed) on it. There is also
> >another version where atari turned out a tiny little board with 4 blobs
> >on it (each blob is a pokey die directly attached to the board).. I prefer
> >the "big" version because it is fixable.. :)
>
> Kurt's right-- Atari had problems with production of the chip-on-board
> (die-on-board) version at first so the Quad Pokey eliminator PCB was
> designed and used (mostly?) on Major Havoc. The Return of the Jedi game
> has the actual Quad Pokey, as did most Fire Foxes I've run across. I dunno
> what else had them...

I thought that the quad pokey eliminator was used because the quad pokey
IC was not done
with manufacturing yet? The eliminator (big PCB) was only used on Major
Havoc whereas the
custom IC was used on RotJ and Firefox (as Clay said) but both of them
came out after
Major Havoc.

I actually prefer the small custom IC since it doesn't cover all IC's
within 1" of it. :=0

Off topic:
anyone going to Pin Expo? I will have a booth for "The Game Spot" there.
See ya' there!

jess

--
Jess M. Askey            ************* My Page ***************