Re: Major Havoc

From: Clay Cowgill <clayc_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Tue Nov 11 1997 - 17:03:32 EST

>> >2 . Would it be easy to duplicate (haven't downloaded the schematics yet)
>>
>> Yep. Two layer, pretty simple. Main problem there is that it's physically
>> a pretty large PCB. Just be kinda expensive to make.
>
>Actually there are two varieties of quad pokeys floating around.
>
>There is the board with 4 pokeys (40-pin socketed) on it. There is also
>another version where atari turned out a tiny little board with 4 blobs
>on it (each blob is a pokey die directly attached to the board).. I prefer
>the "big" version because it is fixable.. :)

Kurt's right-- Atari had problems with production of the chip-on-board
(die-on-board) version at first so the Quad Pokey eliminator PCB was
designed and used (mostly?) on Major Havoc. The Return of the Jedi game
has the actual Quad Pokey, as did most Fire Foxes I've run across. I dunno
what else had them...

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com