Re: New to list, Amplifone questions

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed Nov 12 1997 - 12:03:45 EST

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Dan Rasmussen wrote:

> I will add that, while the other mods to the board seem to be cleanly
> done, the jumper wire is a mess: Somone clipped the resistor on one
> side, then desoldered the other side. The jumper was then soldered to
> the old resistor lead on one side and to the board on the other. Its
> quite a mess.

        It sounds like it...

> One more thing the two boards have different HV transformers though
> both are red.

        This is wierd...I have only seen one type of red HV transformer...

> I figure that I need to either replace the broken jumper wire but I
> hesitate to do so if this is not a known modification to this board.
> Maybe I should just restor it to its original configuration.

        I would strongly suggest restoring it to its original
configuration. A recent example of why you should do so is that I had a
Black Widow which was getting no HV (in its WG color XY monitor) so I
pulled the HV board and took a look. It literally looked like the thing
tore itself apart. Transistors were blown apart, resistors burned, and I
noticed that one of the "non-standard" (i.e. Not available at Radio
Shack, but easily available from my local electronics store) resistors was
replaced by some frankensteined mess of power resistors in parallel.
First thing I did was pull all that crap out, test the flyback using
Clay's little chart, and replace a bunch of components with their proper
replacements. I fired it up and it worked like a charm.

        I am aware of only one modification on the HV board of the
Amplifone -- It's changing a resistor value from 2.2k to 1k (I think it's
R12? This is covered in Gregg's FAQ, though, and I think it's
supposed to be done when you replace the HV transformer.) The diodes might
be there because someone replaced the BU406D with a BU406. You should
restore the board to its original condition, whether the board works or
not. That's just my opinion. Any operator hacks, even if they're not
giving you problems now, will probably give you headaches in the future...

Joe