Re: recap of Tempest

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri Nov 14 1997 - 12:07:29 EST

On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, Ozdemir, Steve wrote:

> OK, and I had a question about the parts that Zanen was supplying. I'm
> not very good at identifying parts, but the differing sizes of the
> resistors (for 1/4 watt, 1/2 watt and 2 watt) was a dead give away as to
> which resistor was which. What I couldn't read or figure out was the
> ZD's. The largest ZD was readable (and meant for ZD902. The next two
> largest ZD were taped together, so they were probably 1N4750 27V and
> meant for ZD100 and ZD101? This doesn't seem right since the original
> ZD100 part had a big black ZD and I'm replacing it with a smaller orange
> one??

        That's probably OK. I think the monitor manual specifies "28V
Zener Diode" as the replacement for those. The 1N4750s I got to replace
them were actually blue in color, and in a different package than the
original. So, I wouldn't worry too much.

> Thanks for any help in confirming my suspicions....as you can see, I'm a
> bit of a scaried cat in making tech changs without having everything
> double checked and confirmed by someone else. Thanks in advance!

        All your other hunches seem OK. I've never installed a Zanen kit
on one of those monitors (I just replace what's bad) so I don't know which
POT you're referring to...

Joe