Re: recap of Tempest

From: Warren 'Llama' Ernst <warren_at_techie.com>
Date: Fri Nov 14 1997 - 15:34:53 EST

At 08:53 AM 11/14/97 -0800, you wrote:
>G'day folks,
>

>Also, should I replace the POT in the HV? Does this control HV? If so,
>I have no way of measuring it so I probably should leave it alone.

I have recapped 6 WG monitors (a small number for some people here, I'm
sure, but its an impressive number to me), and I have never seen the pot on
the HV cage go bad, and I now leave it in.

Of course, since it is simply a variable resistor, you can remove it from
the circuit and measure resistances across the pins, and then twist the new
one to match, and THEN put the new one in. I did this the first few cap kits.

OF course, this also assumes that the monitor was working pretty OK before
the the cap kit, or before someone else started screwing with it. If its
setting was screwed up by someone attempting to fix it in the past, then
all bets are off.

Virtually,
Warr
Reviewer, "Windows Magazine" | Warren Ernst - warren@techie.com
Author, "Using Netscape" | http://www.cris.com/~wernst/
"Internet 1997 Unleashed" (c) | Computer Journalist, Consultant, Author
"Netscape 3 Unleashed"(contr) | Graphic Artist, Nerd
"Presenting ActiveX" |
Que and Sams.Net Publishing | "If it ain't broke, don't break it."