Re: No recap needed....funny vectors from board

From: Warren 'Llama' Ernst <warren_at_techie.com>
Date: Tue Nov 18 1997 - 10:49:06 EST

At 08:40 AM 11/17/97 -0800, you wrote:
>G'day folks,

>I have several Tempest board sets that coin up, but have strange or no
>display. I think the one that would be easiest to repair would be the
>board set collapses half the image into a line (but is fine other than
>that). Would a bad op (either T081 or T082, I forget) amp behave in this
>fashion? Has anyone else seen this symptom? The problem is definitely
>not in the monitor (or the board's pots), since I put the board set in
>another "good" Tempest with the same results.
>
>The other two boards have random vectors (so there's no discernible
>image) or no image what so ever. Tracking down these problems without
>an oscilliscope seem much more difficult to me than the 1/2 display
>board set. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Steve,

You know how you had to reflow the solder around the pins of the monitor
boards due to age? Well, do you know how many pins you have on the Tempest
Board and the Aux board that are waiting to have the solder reflowed? About
80, that's how much.

Loose connections on those pins can cause lots of weird problems, including
the some of the ones that you describe. I would, before doing anything
else, remove the connector cables and really reflow all teh solder around
the pins. In my case, I had to actually remove and re-solder all the pins -
the connections were that flakey and the pins are so tiny and have so
little extra solder.

But it can, should, and must be done to every Tempest board you have before
trying anything else.

Good luck!

Virtually,
Warr
Reviewer, "Windows Magazine" | Warren Ernst - warren@techie.com
Author, "Using Netscape" | http://www.cris.com/~wernst/
"Internet 1997 Unleashed" (c) | Computer Journalist, Consultant, Author
"Netscape 3 Unleashed"(contr) | Graphic Artist, Nerd
"Presenting ActiveX" |
Que and Sams.Net Publishing | "If it ain't broke, don't break it."