Re: G-80 Spinner interface boards...

From: Clay Cowgill <clayc_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Tue Nov 18 1997 - 14:03:17 EST

>On Mon, 17 Nov 1997 09:00:24 -0800 Clay Cowgill <clayc@diamondmm.com>
>writes:

>I've got a few Arkanoid spinners (with a lead on two from a Cocktail
>Arkanoid) and I would like to know if it is possible to use them with
>this interface board. Or should I wait for your PIC do-everything spinner
>interface?

The Sega Spinner Interface board takes two quadrature inputs and outputs a
7 bit + direction count. My little PIC spinner thing does the same, but
since the Sega uses an I/O write line to select either "buttons" or
"spinner" for input you still need a PCB to handle the muxing of the two.

I'll know more for sure when I get the first samples of the G80
daughtercard and spinner, but I suspect that pretty much anything that uses
an optical interrupter type quadrature system would work for input to the
Spinner board. I've got a Tron spinner, a Tempest one, a couple Atari
Whirly-gigs (Blasteroids), and a Sega spinner to try (plus an HP and
Clarostat encoder). I'll try to make a little "compatibility" chart.

>p.s. Where do I send the $$$ for the Multigame? Drool!

I'll let everyone know once the prototypes check out. ;-)

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com
\/ Communications Division http://www.supra.com/