Re: Andromeda programmer

From: Zonn <zonn_at_concentric.net>
Date: Wed Nov 26 1997 - 13:21:16 EST

On Wed, 26 Nov 1997 09:53:56 -0800 (PST), aek@goonsquad.spies.com (Al
Kossow) wrote:

>"I think my Andromeda one will do everything (sometimes you have to build the
>right adapter, but they are pretty easy). As I recall they even sell an
>adapter to burn 1702s.."
>
>cool. just did an altavista search, here is a scan of their add
>
>http://cinecam.com/andromed.htm
>
>they have TMS2716 and 1702 adapters.. i'll probably be ordering one
>today (They're $289..)
>
>i'll let everyone know how much the adapters are.

I own the same one.

It comes with a complete schematic - including schematics to allow you
to build your own adapters, which is nice.

It also comes with some of the worst software written for a programmer.
But once you wade through the menus and say "yes I'm sure" a lot, you
can eventually burn an EPROM. I used to think Needhams software was a
pain!! One thing that is not apparent, in the add, is that there are
switch settings that must be setup for each different type of EPROM,
along with selecting the proper EPROM from the software menu -- an extra
step most universal programmers have done away with using a few
switching transistors.

Automating it (placing it in a batch file) is a pain since they
alternate between BIOS calls and DOS calls. Trying to use one of those
programs that fools the software into reading command lines as key
sequences won't always work because of the lame software.

It's like some Jr. High School kid's software project untitled: "My
First GUI" though it's not GUI, but text based.

Either way it burns about everything (with the proper adapters, and
switches set). Comes in a nice carrying case, and plugs into anyone's
parallel port (doesn't need an adapter card -- way cool for going to
someone's house and grabbing ROM images) And the cheapest I found that
allows for doing these things.

Given time I'd re-write the interface software...of course givin' time
(and a little money) I'd build a three colored, laser projected, X/Y
platform, with a 50,000 watt audio sound system, and play Tempest
projected against the side of the Grand Canyon. Hmmm... time to check
those lotto numbers...

-Z

 ------ ___ Member of A.A.C.S.:
 |---- | ( ) Association for Artistically