Re: Development stuff...

From: Kurt Mahan <kmahan_at_novell.com>
Date: Wed Nov 26 1997 - 23:28:04 EST

> You can actually do all that in one 74LS86. One switch sets output
> polarity with the last XOR gate, the other gates combine the H and Vsync.
> I did this for my monitor tester...

About that monitor tester.. :)

> >Have you ever seen a PAT9000? (an Atari test piece). VERY impressive.
> >(and as my old roommate would say "Lots of switches and lights!")
>
> I've never seen one. :-( Anybody have pictures?

Basically its composed of three pieces. The control console and two 13"
monitors (one raster and one vector). The control console is a couple feet
in length, about 10" high and 10" deep (this is from memory). If you find
one make sure to get all possible cable harnesses for it. These things
are typically broken when they are being gotten rid of, but are trivial
to fix (just time consuming -- this was engineered in the "functionality
is more important than cost..") An example is the joystick/trackball
section. Rather than have a microswitch joystick, an analog joystick
and a trackball they have just one analog joystick. They have logic
that converts its outputs to anything necessary (plus maps it to up to
4 different control inputs)..

Another suggestion for the board -- scope probe hookup loops on the
video sections and the audio sections. Those seem to be the main places
I stick probes on the outputs...

Kurt