Re: Vector Monitor HV power...

From: Clay Cowgill <clayc_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Mon Dec 01 1997 - 20:10:44 EST

>couple of things
>
>unless you can find an output winding on the atari power supply
>assembly, you'll need an isolation transformer on the AC line.

True.

>you will have to experiment with the LC value of the primary of
>the chosen HV transformer to get it back in resonace without
>the horizontal deflection coil in the circuit, or adjust the
>osc frequency up (not a big deal since you don't have to run
>at 15khz, in fact, it would be better (noise wise) if you were
>supersonic)

 From the look of it, I'll just be replacing the HOSC output from the
monitor's "control" IC with a similar signal from a 555.

>the HV on vector monitors is a few KV lower on vector monitors
>than raster monitors

That's actually a good thing, IMHO. I run my monitors several KV lower
than the manuals say anyway with seemingly very good results...

>you didn't mention if you were going to make this a closed
>loop HV supply (with HV regulation)
>HV regulation is a GOOD THING.

The Wells Gardner/Amplifones didn't do that did they? Wouldn't that mess
with the Star Wars explosion effects?

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com