Re: Sega sound boards...

From: mayday19 <mayday19_at_IDT.NET>
Date: Thu Dec 04 1997 - 04:10:11 EST

Clay Cowgill wrote:

> >Space Fury 8 bit 22khz 1.2mb
> >Star Trek 8 bit 22khz 1.0mb
> >Zektor 8 bit 22khz 1.2mb
> >
> >the samples were created at 48khz 16bits and bandpass
> >filtered prior to sample rate converison
>
> They're all just voice-band stuff, no? Anyone have a convincing reason why
> I couldn't resample these to 8KHz? (I don't recall the frequency response
> of the SPO-250, but I doubt it's over 4KHz-- and even if it is, human voice
> energy rolls off real fast past 1.6KHz...)

I dont know anything about all that digital logic stuff you guys would
use to make it work..I'd like too... but in regular audio applications
you basically set your sample rate by how high your highest frequency
will be. The rule, or the 'Nyquest Thoerem' is that you must sample at at
least 2 times the highest fyrequency recorded (to sound accurate).For
example CD players sample at 44.1 KHz which is roughly twice the higest
frequency humans can hear. Digital voice recorders usually sample @
32khz (I think a few first-generation DAT decks did too). If you do not
follow this rule you will get false decending harmonics, which will sound
bad. nobodys knows why but it just happens.

I'm assuming you know this cause you said you doubt it is over 4khz. If
this is the case, then a 8khz sampling rate will work. It is cutting it
close, but shouldn't make a difference. It would be a good idea to add a
filter to block anything above 4Khz if you want to sample at 8Khz.
Sampling at 8Khz probably wont sound the best though. Of course the
faster you sample, the better it will sound. There are HD recorders out
now that can sample at 96Khz. Holy gigibytes Batman!

Jeff

--
http://idt.net/~mayday19