Tac/Scan (cracked version)...

From: Clay Cowgill <clayc_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Mon Dec 08 1997 - 17:11:02 EST

This is probably mostly for DaveF, but for anyone that might have played
with the cracked Tac/Scan at all...

I've noticed a glitch in the cracked version I've been running-- hoping
"we" (aka, Dave :-) could do another byte-for-byte search to look for any
errors in the crack. I don't think it's from any changes that I made (I
didn't have to change much of anything in Tac/Scan as I recall).

The bug manifests as the player getting a "phantom" ship in the fleet. It
fires, but isn't visible. It does seem to be possible to have it get shot
though. I only notice it after you play through the first three stages
(top view, 3-d iso view, tunnel) and start the fourth stage (top-view
again).

This was on a real Tac/Scan upright that doesn't exhibit the problem with
the "factory" EPROM board. I suppose it could be something weird with the
multi-game daughterboard, but everything else seems to run perfectly-- go
figure.

Any thoughts?

-Clay

(Also-- FWIW, I've never seen the purported "Zektor 99 lives" bug on real
hardware. I wonder if it wasn't just due to uninitialized (or not) memory
or something...)

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com
\/ Communications Division http://www.supra.com/