Re: tempest help

From: Warren 'Llama' Ernst <warren_at_techie.com>
Date: Wed Dec 10 1997 - 00:52:45 EST

>I just picked up a Tempest UR that has a small prob. I will probably want
>to sell it right away as soon as it is fixed as I already have a cabaret
>Tempest ($500+shipping, this thing is REALLY clean). I did a big trade
>and I didn't want it too much. :>
>
>I haven't looked at it yet, but the problem is that the game powers up
>fine (monitor looks great), and you can start a game and fire and super
>zap, but the spinner will not work. The guy I got it from said if you
>start a game, remove the aux board connector and replace it, it will work
>fine for as long as the machine is turned on. I tried this a couple times
>and it worked. I've only looked at it long enough to try that so far, but
>I'd figure I'd get a second opinion on it first..any ideas?

Jeff,

Those pins that the connector cable plugs into are loose - the solder that
holds the pins to the board are cracked with age and use. Reflow the solder
around the pins on both boards, and that should take care of it. I would do
the job right and remove the old solder completely and resolder the pins,
but if you are in a hurry...

Virtually,
Warr

Reviewer, "Windows Magazine" | Warren Ernst - warren@techie.com
Author, "Using Netscape" | http://www.cris.com/~wernst/
"Internet 1997 Unleashed" (c) | Computer Journalist, Consultant, Author
"Netscape 3 Unleashed"(contr) | Graphic Artist, Nerd
"Presenting ActiveX" |
Que and Sams.Net Publishing | "If it ain't broke, don't break it."