RE: tempest help

From: Gregg Woodcock <woodcock_at_dfwmm.net>
Date: Fri Dec 12 1997 - 23:12:21 EST

At 8:34 12/10/97, Ozdemir, Steve wrote:
>G'day folks,
>
>Along similar lines, I have some bad Tempest spinners. I'm assuming
>that the LED that shines through the wheel has gone bad. Does anyone
>know of a replacement part (or better yet a number that I could bring to
>my electronic's parts store)? Thanks!

I'll swap a working one for your bad one + $25. However ANY (and I do mean
ANY) Infra-red transmitter/detector pair will work. There are 2 pairs and
you can tell which is which by the markings on the underside of the PCB.
It is virtually IMPOSSIBLE (although I have done it once) to remove the
LEDs from the curved black enclosures but as long as your game is inside a
cabinet (i.e. dark and with constant interior temp), you don't need the
casing. Replace 1 pair (in a casing) and test. If it doesn't work,
replace the other (actually you can test them but it really isn't worth the
time). B.G. Micro sells a pair that will work for ~ 50 cents.