RE: Sega Multigame and Vector Generator Card...

From: Ozdemir, Steve <sso_at_dsc.com>
Date: Wed Dec 17 1997 - 14:06:31 EST

G'day folks,

Well, if the ships on Space Wars aren't animated well on a 19" screen,
then that explains why only Barrier had a 25" screen. There's no
animation in Barrier, and anytime someone brought up a 25" screen for
one of the later games this issue probably came up.

I still like Paul's idea of having intensity differ within any given
vector, even if we can't make vectors fade to black (due to speed
constraints of the monitor). If I may speculate for a moment, wouldn't
it be difficult to specify via software how you wanted the intensity for
a vector to change? Let's say I wanted the intensity to increase slowly
for the first third of a vector, stay at the highest level for the
middle of the vector and finally return to the original intensity in the
last third of the vector.

I think varying intensity within any given vector would also support
first person games with "fading perspective with distance" nicely. All
those lines that go off into the distance would be easy to fade as you
get further off in the distance (but of course you wouldn't be able to
fade completely to black unfortunately). Am I getting too much into
game design when the monitor hasn't even been finished?!

                Steven S Ozdemir
                sso@dsc.com