Re: Sega Multigame and Vector Generator Card...

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Wed Dec 17 1997 - 14:41:39 EST

On Wed, 17 Dec 1997 11:06:31 -0800, "Ozdemir, Steve" <sso@dsc.com> wrote:

>G'day folks,
>
>Well, if the ships on Space Wars aren't animated well on a 19" screen,
>then that explains why only Barrier had a 25" screen. There's no
>animation in Barrier, and anytime someone brought up a 25" screen for
>one of the later games this issue probably came up.

That's a good point. The jumps on larger screens would be, well, larger.

>I still like Paul's idea of having intensity differ within any given
>vector, even if we can't make vectors fade to black (due to speed
>constraints of the monitor). If I may speculate for a moment, wouldn't
>it be difficult to specify via software how you wanted the intensity for
>a vector to change? Let's say I wanted the intensity to increase slowly
>for the first third of a vector, stay at the highest level for the
>middle of the vector and finally return to the original intensity in the
>last third of the vector.
>
>I think varying intensity within any given vector would also support
>first person games with "fading perspective with distance" nicely. All
>those lines that go off into the distance would be easy to fade as you
>get further off in the distance (but of course you wouldn't be able to
>fade completely to black unfortunately). Am I getting too much into
>game design when the monitor hasn't even been finished?!

The best way at this point to fade a vector using a normal DVG or AVG would be
to draw it with smaller vectors, each set to decreasing intensities.

One could always setup a mode where the intensity of the vector was based on the
value in the Line Length Counter in the vector generator. That would give you a
smooth fade.

In either case there is nothing from stopping you from fading to black.

-Zonn

 ------ ___ Member of A.A.C.S.:
 |---- | ( ) Association for Artistically
    / / ( () ) Challenged Signatures