Re: Sega Multigame and Vector Generator Card...

From: Paul Kahler <phkahler_at_Oakland.edu>
Date: Thu Dec 18 1997 - 09:21:56 EST

Steve,

  My idea about changing line intensity was not a designed feature, rather
it is a *bonus* for building hardware that can generate curves. So yes, we
could do curves better than Quantum. The circuit for doing curves is a
simple extension of a fixed-point DVG. However, since Clay is trying to
fit all this into 128 CLBs it looks like the extra registers aren't going
to fit (6 24-bit numbers is over 128 bits). However, I'm still toying
with an idea that may help.
 ___ __ _ _ _
|_| |_||_| \___/ |____) for things another man can just ignore. " -S.H.

> G'day folks,
>
> No brightening, constant, darkening within a single vector as my below
> example described. That's fine. I just wanted to check if you were
> suggesting features that would support my difficult example. As you
> (and Zonn) suggested splitting the vector into two parts where one
> vector was only brightening and the other vector was only darkening
> would be OK. I was thinking more of what Al was describing where
> vectors fade into the distance in first player games.
>
> Could we have curved lines like in Quantum? As I remember the "curved
> lines" were actually lots of short straight lines that look like one big
> curved line. This is a tall order, but if we are in the middle of
> brainstorming up suggestions I'll stick my neck out!
>
> By the way, while I have people focussed on Quantum, can anyone tell me
> why they didn't do this game with a raster monitor? Come on. Curved
> lines and solid filled objects. What's the point of using vectors?
>
> Steven S Ozdemir
> sso@dsc.com
>
> ps - Of course, I'm the guy who's convinced that Qix should be redone
> with vectors.