Exorcisor on a chip

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon Dec 22 1997 - 12:07:02 EST

Hey all,

        This weekend, I played around with fitting the Cine.
Exorcisor onto a single PLD, using the [free] tools that I had
at my disposal (AMD's PALASM.)

        Unfortunately, the smallest PLD I could get it to fit
into was a MACH130. What's bad about this is that I can't program
MACH130s without an adaptor to my Programmer (A MACH130 is in a
PLCC package) which costs ~$150.

        I partitioned and I think I can get the same design into 3
22V10s, but I'm not sure that there's any advantage to doing it
that way, rather than just building it out of the dozen or so
TTL chips. You still need an external inverter to invert the
clock, so that would be a chip count of 4 instead of ~12, and
a pin count of ~80, instead of ~176. I guess it's still a savings,
but I'm just bummed that this hasn't turned out as nicely as I
planned.

        I'm looking for some feedback from people about the
following stuff:

        1) Does anybody have a programmer with the necessary
adaptors to program AMD MACH series parts? Better yet, does
anybody have this adaptor for a Modular Circuit Technology
MOD-EMUPA programmer, that I might be able to borrow?

        2) Is there any interest in getting the Exorcisor
on ~3 22V10s?

I'd appreciate any feedback...

Thanks,

Joe

Joseph J. Welser jwelser@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Design Engineer -- Crystal Semiconductor Corporation
Ph.D. Student in E.E. -- University of Texas at Austin
Work: jwelser_at_crystal.cirrus.com http://www.crystal.com
P.O. Box 17847; Austin, TX 78760