Re: Bulletproof your WG6100!

From: Anders Knudsen <Anders_Knudsen_at_btc.adaptec.com>
Date: Wed Jan 14 1998 - 16:44:04 EST

At 12:44 PM 1/14/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Alright Anders!
>
>Count me in for 5-10 depending on what your "quantity" price break is. :-)

Tallied in.

>On a related note... I'm still fascinated with the idea of trying to
>upgrade a WG6100 to WG6400 performance specs. Soooo...

Will get to this when I have the LV PCB sent to the fab.

>National Semiconductor sells the LM317HVH. That's a "high voltage" version
>of the 317 and as such can regulate from 1.2-57V. (enough to get into the
>48V band the WG6400's looking for. ;-) Question for Anders: How much
>current do the 317/337 on your replacement board need to source? (The
>reason I ask is that the LM337HVH is a TO-93 and can only source a few
>hundred mA.)

I'd have to look at my notes at home for exact numbers, but with a quick
back of the envelope calculation, I believe the source current is no more
than 100 to 200 mA. Any more than that and I think the pass transistor will
source a current high enough to blow the fuses. i.e., -- it is possible
that my current PCB will work with the HV versions of the LM regulators.
I'll take a closer look at it after I have finished the fab order.

-Anders.