RE: Bulletproof your WG6100!

From: Anders Knudsen <Anders_Knudsen_at_btc.adaptec.com>
Date: Wed Jan 14 1998 - 16:38:24 EST

>Kinda. There was a peak, but it was pretty close to my original "interest
>gauge". The place I need to be careful is making sure I remember to order
>more than a couple for myself. ;-) Since it's a lot cheaper to order more
>up front than do another run later on, I generally take my "final call"
>number and order 120% of that. That way I have a couple for any
>stragglers, and a couple spares to leave unpopulated as reference boards
>later on.

Sounds like a good rule of thumb, or is that "rule of Clay" ;-)

>Also-- as the board complexity goes up you might need a couple extras for
>manufacturing defects. AP Circuits has been pretty good about getting me
>good fabs, but without electrical testing on the boards you're never really
>sure until you try it. (Which is why I like to pre-assemble the more
>complicated stuff like the Sega Multigame. The multigame averages over 28
>holes per inch for components and vias...)

So you did not have electrical test done on the sega multigame pcbs?

>Another question for Anders-- is your design 1-layer? (that should help a
>lot on price...)

Yes, this is a single layer board. So the price quote I have is for single
layer. Also, the board will have a solder mask on the trace (bottom) side.
It adds very little to the cost to add the solder mask, so I am getting
that done. The solder mask helps alot when soldering components to the pads.
Since it is a single layer board, I will do a quick trace/pad continuity
test on each PCB I send to anyone ordering unassembled PCBs. That way, you
won't get a bum PCB.

-anders.