Decent little cap tester...

From: Clay Cowgill <clayc_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Wed Jan 14 1998 - 16:33:17 EST

Just some more info for any of you expanding your test gear. I was making
an order from Jameco the other day and saw their "BelMerit Capacitance
Meter" (#140741) for $59.95... I decided to add it on to the order-- when
I called in the price was $49.95 (cool).

Anyway, I got it yesterday so I brought it into work with a double-handful
of caps and did some A/B tests against the Sencore Model LC77
capacitor/inductor analyzer.

Long story short-- although it only measures capacitance it seems to do it
very well (esp. compared to the Sencore's $1800 price tag). Accuracy seems
better on the pF-nF range (more or less exactly the same answers the
Sencore gave there), drift gets a little more pronounced in the uF range,
but never more than the tolerance of the caps I tested.

Although it doesn't do all the leakage/ESR/dialectric absorbtion tests that
the Sencore does it seems to be great for testing if a cap is out of spec
or identifying the value of something you're not quite sure about.

Good little value for $50.

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com